The Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi) Trust is supporting agribusiness development in the private sector to achieve the objective of the Government of Uganda’s Competitiveness and Investment Climate Strategy (CICS). The Trust is a multi-donor entity jointly founded by the Governments of Denmark and Uganda. The mandate of aBi Trust is to support the private sector actors to increase their contribution to the agricultural sector by increasing land and labour productivity, and market competitiveness thereby contributing to poverty reduction through economic growth, wealth, and employment creation.
Job Summary: The Financial Service Development Officer will mainly market aBi’s products to financial institutions, ensuring that capacity building and technical assistance budgets are effectively deployed to support FIs to improve their ability to offer relevant and affordable products to agribusinesses sustainably
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Participate and contribute to the development and implementation of aBi Finance team’s strategic and operational plans in order to support the attainment of aBi’s strategic objectives:
· Participate in coordination and preparation of business plans annual work plans, quarterly and annual reports;
· Offer technical support to aBi partners on ways to address strategy and policy issues for finance and investment which support increased flows of financing of the agricultural sector, especially to small and medium agro-enterprises, rural households;
·Provide support in risk management process
Strengthen the capacity of financial institutions to develop and effectively market products in agribusiness finance
· Participate in capacity assessments and training needs of both existing and potential partners, evaluate capacity building needs in financial partner institutions for products and services which support improved impacts of access to finance and financial inclusion;
· Pick up gaps from appraisals made by Credit Officers and Mixed teams to ensure that they are addressed to best protect investments made.
· Offer technical guidance to improve and strengthen financial services for agribusinesses and broader finance and investment issues impacting on rural finance and value chain development;
Support financial institutions/agencies to successfully pilot and rollout financial products and solutions for agribusinesses
· Appraise financing and investment requirements for agribusiness; recommend appropriate financing strategies to financial institutions for reducing risk and improving effectiveness in agribusiness lending;
· Participate in design and implementation of aBi agribusiness programmes, especially in relation to financial services and investment; as required and provide technical backstopping to supported field projects;
· Work with partners and technical assistance consultants to develop, pilot and market new products that contribute to value chain development
Successfully market and provide financial products and services to financial institutions for agribusiness development
· Develop and maintain working contacts with counterparts in other organizations, associations, private sector firms and development agencies specialised in finance and agribusiness;
· Work closely with financial Institutions to expand financial services in all areas of agribusiness lending and other products.
· Participate in the forums for promoting agricultural insurance, financial services and innovations, institutional strengthening and other stakeholder partnerships
Ensure that data and information on lines of credit to FIs is readily accessible and available to stakeholders
· Support process of assembling relevant reports to Management and Board.
· Maintain records (including department minutes), files pertaining to FSD efforts including learnings, studies, policies and legal documentation.
Others: Perform any other duties as requested by the Business Development Manager – Financial Institutions
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in either Business Administration, Economics, Accounting, Commerce or Agribusiness and a relevant professional qualification
· Additional training in Credit & Financial Risk analysis added advantage
· Possession of a PGD in Project Management added advantage
· A minimum of five years of previous exposure and experience working in the Financial services sector
· Experience and working knowledge of the agribusiness sector
· Knowledge and experience in the working operations of financial institutions
· Ability to build strong and sustainable partnerships
· Ability to work against tight deadlines
· Familiarity of usage of databases and Microsoft Office
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
How to Apply:
If you feel you meet the above requirements, please send your application enclosing detailed curriculum vitae giving three referees and copies of academic and professional certificates /testimonials by e-mail only to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NB: The attached documents should not be more than 2 MB. Only Shortlisted candidates who meet the criteria will be contacted.
Deadline: 1st December 2017 by 12:00 Noon